Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Baskets and Flowers

When my mom, who is a master basket maker, came last year, she brought some reed and made a few baskets for me. This year when we returned, I decided that I wanted a bigger one for fruits and veggies with lots of holes to allow for air circulation. Here's what I came up with:



It's not very strong, but I'm not carrying things around in it. It's main purpose is to corral bananas, limes, and grapefruit. Many grow right here on the property. I am still searching for a place where a flexible vine grows that can be used for basket making. This is a craft I would like to share with the ladies here, but without access to the right materials, it will be difficult.

The other thing I wanted to show you is this picture of the wild flowers that the kids pick and display in old glass coke bottles. All the guests that we have had so far this year have had their rooms decorated with love... and weeds from our kids.

2 comments:

The Unlikely Homeschooler said...

oh I love the basket!! How totally functional!!
I did a few baskets when I was younger and LOVED it! Perhaps that's something we can enjoy together this summer, you know, in our 'spare time' I've not done it in ages and ages though. I would love to learn to do them with the pine needles like Irma and others there do, as I have an abundant supply of those in my yard alone!

Jayna said...

Beautiful! I love the basket and the flowers. I wish the weeds around here were as pretty - if they were, my garden would look AWESOME every year. ;)
Love the basket, too! When you get back to the states you should offer a class on how to do that...I'd love to learn.
Thanks for all the many updates on Brian's Dad. It helps to know what to pray for specifically. I hope things are going well for you and the kids while he's away.

grace & peace,
jayna

P.S.
I'm jealous you can find fruit all around you! I'm craving fruit all the time...I would LOVE to find some in my backyard! That's awesome.